My thinking is that a person should know a little, if not a lot about the person that they are reading. I always like to figure out the interesting things about a person. The things that make you look at the person sitting next to you and say, “you have got to be shitting me, really?” or, shaking my head, “I can totally understand his works better now, wow…” I mean, when I read Wendy Williams autobiography…from that point on, I had a deeper appreciation for her…”how you doin?”
I figure that I would give 21 interesting points about myself, not that a jaw would drop…just me opening up to you. Sharing myself. I know, random…
1. I got accepted to the Upward Bound Program when I was 14, and my mother took me to Case, a university where it was at. I went to meet with the director and they asked me why I wanted to be in the program. And I told them I didn’t. My mother was pissed. As hell. At 25, I ended up being an Resident Coordinator for Upward Bound, for another university down the road.
2. I once was with my grandmother, and my aunt in a grocery store. Some music came on in the grocery store. I can remember dancing, popping my fingers to the beat. Then I hear somebody say, “you so fresh!” at which point I received a good smack, and a look that sealed that deal. To this day, I don’t so much as bob my head in the store more or less dance in one.
3. I have a little sister. And when she was 13, I was 23. One day we were in my fathers’ front yard at his house and we got to talking, laughing. For some reason, I always thought that my sister was like not able to be bigger than me because I was ten years her senior. I know, not cool right? I took it upon myself to hit her in her chest, for no reason. And she hit me back, HARD. I never hit her again.
4. I was four years old and I lived with my grandparents. My grandmother had a niece, and her niece had two children and they would come over. One day we were all outside, and my cousins and I decided to run around the car. I got to close to the car and cut my left leg open over the knee. I was rushed down the street to the hospital, Brentwood, and had to get 14 stitches. I can remember my grandmother holding my face out the window on the way to the hospital, I’m wailing like a siren, my legged wrapped in towels. And I remember watching the Flintstones while getting fourteen stitches above my knee. The scar is still there.
5. When it was my 21st birthday, I decided to get my tongue pierced. I couldn’t eat anything that night so I got drunk. I kept that tongue ring in my mouth for two years. I took it out because I was in a poetry slam on night. And it impaired my speaking performance and to this day I think that affected the outcome of the whole night. So I took it out.
6. I never meet a stranger so that kinda sums up my past love life.
7. I loved so hard once I lost everything.
8. Secretly I think that an obese women lives inside of me because I absolutely love to eat. This is an everyday belief.
9. I laugh out-loud and unashamed.
10. I have watched porn and it honestly does not turn me on. Call me a real person that likes real stimulation.
11. I’m celibate, and that’s a new, NEW thing.
12. I once got so drunk that I passed out downtown at Best Steak and Gyro, with a purse full of money. Luckily, my mom and I used to go to the same bar, because the people around me were from this bar. They got me up, and started telling me to fix myself up, how was I getting home, why did I have that much money on me…I started cussing these people stone out! Like a sailor I’m throwing around the f-bombs, and all that…This guy took me home, while I called him everything but the child of God, he made sure I got home safe. And I thank him for that today.
13. My sober date is July 16, 2009.
14. The alcohol always led to other stuff. I promise. And I apologize to those that I hurt daily…on the inside, so I may heal.
15. I always give too much to those undeserving.
16. When I was a little girl I had a lot of hair, real thick and long. One time my mother had just washed my hair and let it dry. We stayed with my grandparents so I was in my grandfathers’ room watching television…the twins from that Disney movie…The Parent Trap, with the Haley twins. One had cut her hair. So, I went and cut my hair. I hid my hair in the garbage can in my grandfathers’ room. My mother came to braid my hair and found that it was jaggedly missing. She started crying like I had some dying disease and I sat there thinking of a good enough lie to give her so she wont think that something is wrong with my hair. I got a bad ass whupping that night; my mother was disgusted. To this day if we talk about it, she sounds a little pissed. Like she wants to slap the crap out of me for that day. I still, to this day cut my hair at random, and call it removing energy.
17. I once wrote a book as a young child. I designed it with sheets of beige wallpaper around it. I wrote and illustrated it. It won first prize at the junior high, and I was in elementary school. I got a prize and it got put in the library. I lost that book.
18. I am tall, just not as tall as I originally thought.
19. I do not eat watermelon despite popular belief.
20. I get irritated easily and am really, really working on being more kind in this life.
21. I miss all those that I lost daily and pray for as many people as I can. I try to tell others to love themselves…not because it sounds good, but because that’s the way I was naturally built.